The Hitchhikers guide to Citrix CCEE & CCIA certification – Part 1 (updated September 2013)
There is an increasing demand for skilled and certified Citrix Engineers/Specialists and Architects. You will definitely boost you career and increase your value for employers if you achieve Citrix CCEE or Citrix CCIA certification!
Update: With XenDesktop 7 Citrix has changed the certifications to solution based certifications. For XenDesktop 7 there will be three exams:
– Citrix Certified Associate (CCA)
– Citrix Certified Professional (CCP)
– Citrix Certified Expert (CCE)
XenDesktop 7 and XenDesktop 7 App editon will not become part of CCEE and CCIA. I am planning to release ” The Hitchhikers guide to XenDesktop 7 CCA/CCP/CCE ” soon. The new exams willl become available before the end of the year (the beta period ended in August)
I expect that CCEE and CCIA will remain important for employers and customers for at least a few years as it will take some time before company’s will be ready to adapt XenDestop 7 (App edition) on a large scale.
The Citrix CCEE certification track requires you to pass 5 exams. If you really want to (and yes you can!) then you can finish the Citrix CCEE track in 4 to 5 months if you have some hands-on experience with Citrix XenApp, Citrix XenDesktop, Citrix XenServer and Citrix Provisioning server. This 4 to 5 month schedule will be more difficult if you do not have any hands-on experience with Citrix products.
Citrix CCIA is just one exam more than Citrix CCEE but will include some knowledge about Project management, high level architecture and making decisions on what solution or product to use in different scenarios. If these kinds of skills are already part of your daily job then you should be able to pass this exam and you can add another month to the schedule to get Citrix CCIA certified. Do not underestimate the CCIA exam; it is more difficult than any of the CCA exams or the CCEE exam.
Full overview of the CCEE for Virtualiztion track
Full overview of the CCIA for Virtualization track
If you have some knowledge about Citrix products and Virtualization then this schedule can work for you!
There are a number of basic Citrix study rules that I recommend:
Study rule 1#: Book the exam before you start studying, this will make sure that you have a deadline to work to. Do not reschedule the exam unless absolutely necessary, use the time pressure that you might experience to put more effort into studying.
Study rule 2#: Once you get studying and you pass the 1st exam/module then continue with studying for the other required exams/models right away. If you take a break between the exams that is longer than 1-2 two weeks it will take you more effort to get used to studying and you will forget what you learned from the previous exams.
Study rule #3: Enjoy learning and studying Citrix stuff 🙂 If you really like to learn about Citrix products then this will help.
Study rule #4: Follow @CitrixEducation on twitter for information on upcoming exams, beta exams or special promotions.
Study rule #5: You can always use Citrix eDocs to find information on all Citrix products and related topics.
Study rule#6: For every exam read the official Citrix preparation guide thoroughly and read/study all the listed items as they have been used during the development of the exam.
The schedule for Citrix CCEE:
Take one exam every month or every 3 weeks:
Month 1/first 3 weeks: CCA for XenApp 6.5 Certfication
Study XenApp 6.5 (you can skip this if you already passed the exam for Citrix XenApp 6) on Microsoft Windows server 2008 R2
- Book exam 1Y0-A20 (Citrix XenApp 6.5)
- Go through the free XenApp 6.5 overview training from Citrix Education
- Read the 1Y0-a20 enablement guide carefully and make sure you have sufficient knowledge about all the topics listed in the guide, documents and articles listed in the guide have been used during exam development.
- Read the 1y0-A20 Citrix XenApp 6.5 resources guide on citrixxperience.com
- Use Citrix eDocs and Citrix white papers for more in-depth information.
- White papers for XenApp 6.5
- Purchase Citrix online e-learning for XenApp (course CXA-206-1W) if you need more training.
- Build a virtual test farm and install Citrix XenApp, the license server and Citrix web interface in the test farm. You can use free virtualization software or install Windows server in a separate partition or disk. Microsoft has Windows Server evaluation versions available and Citrix also has evaluation versions available
- You can use Virtualbox (free) or the Hyper-V version that is built into Windows 8(.1) Pro to setup your test environment if you have sufficient CPU and Memory resources on your pc/laptop.
Part 2 (month 2 or the next 3 weeks) will describe how to study for Citrix XenServer
You can find part 5 here (part 5 will be updated soon)
You can find part 4 here
You can find part 3 here
You can find part 2 here